Free Mail Alerts as Text Message (SMS)
Yes, you read it right! Get Email alerts on your mobile as an text message (SMS) irrespective of the service/email provider! You’ll just have to make sure your email provider supports Mail Forwarding. This could be found somewhere inside your Mail Options/Settings. If you are a Yahoo! user, you’ll be able to find it in your Mail Options –> Forwarding and for GMail, this will be located in your Mail Settings –> POP and Forwarding Tab. This works for Google Apps users as well. And this works on Way2SMS platform.
Ready to get alerts? Here’s the procedure.
Creating a Way2SMS Account
- Visit Way2SMS and choose Register.
- Enter your personal details and your mobile number (the password will be sent to your mobile).
- Enter the password that was sent to your mobile to confirm your mobile.
- You have now confirmed your number. Now proceed further.
Setting up Alerts
- After logging into your Way2SMS account, click the Mail tab
- Create a Way2SMS email. (eg: firstname.lastname@example.org) and click Submit
- Now, click Mail Alerts (on the top right corner) and choose ‘Activate‘
- Enter your timing preferences
Way2SMS setup is now over. Now, get in to your GMail/Yahoo! or your own email service. (GMail/Google Apps is used here)
- Login to your GMail/Google Apps Email
- Click Settings on the top right corner
- Click “Forwarding and POP/IMAP“
- Click the second radio button that reads “Forward a copy of the mail to” and enter your Way2SMS email address (eg: email@example.com)
- Choose “Keep GMail’s copy in the Inbox” so that the email remains in your GMail Inbox rather than being archived.
- Click Save Settings
You are all set to receive Text Alerts on your mobile. Why not test if it works by sending a message to yourself? ;)
Follow the same procedure for Yahoo!/your email service. If you are not sure, comment here.
PS : This works only in India. This works on Way2SMS Email Service.